XAMPP is a completely free, easy to install Apache distribution containing MariaDB, PHP, and Perl. The XAMPP open source package has been set up to be incredibly easy to install and to use in Windows.
Many people know from their own experience that it’s not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP, and Perl. The goal of XAMPP is to build an easy to install distribution for developers to get into the world of Apache. To make it convenient for developers, the tool is configured with all features turned on. In the case of commercial use please take a look at the product licenses, from the app point of view commercial use is also free. There are currently distributions for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. The most popular PHP dev package and completely free of charge.
XAMPP provides developers with an easy and comfortable way to test dynamic webpages without access to the Internet. It also includes the newest versions of Mercury and Tomcat.
Install your favorite apps on top of the program. Bitnami provides a free all-in-one tool to install Drupal, Joomla!, WordPress, Magento, MediaWiki, ownCloud, phpBB, Zurmo, OpenCart, Mautic, Mahara and many other popular open-source apps on top of XAMPP.
XAMPP’s ease of deployment means a WAMP or LAMP stack can be installed quickly and simply on an operating system by a developer. With the advantage, a number of common add-in applications such as WordPress and Joomla! can also be installed with similar ease using Bitnami.
By default, all services are stopped; therefore, you need to manually start the ones you need and administer them at the same time. All Service Settings you can choose for the XAMPP Control Panel to run as service, and automatically make specific modules active at startup. In addition, you can set up an account and password for secure access.
XAMPP receives regular updates in order to keep up with the latest version of the included components. Its developers are successful in their attempt to provide an up-to-date web server that can be used for website testing and maintenance.
XAMPP for Windows Features
It comes up with a bundle of support and User-Friendly features
- Easy Apache Configuration
- Support for Tomcat server
- Comes up with manual and automatic configurations
- No technical knowledge required to install and configure XAMPP Server
- Easy to run PHP on the local server
- User-friendly interface
- FTP FileZilla included is a basic feature
- Run any server with just one click
- Support for Mercury
- Most Reliable tool
- Multi-lingual development Environment
Advantages of XAMPP
- It is Easy to Install as compare to other web servers like WAMP.
- It is Multi Cross-Platform which means XAMPP is available for Windows and Linux.
- It also comes with a number of other modules including OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, MediaWiki, Joomla, WordPress and more.
- XAMPP is offered in both a full and a standard version (Smaller version).
- You can start and stop the whole webserver+database stack with one command.
Disadvantages of XAMPP
- Configuration and Setting are tough to do as compare to the WAMP Server.
Pros and Cons
|Good online community
||Not for beginners
||Help is just ok
XAMPP for Windows System Requirements
||Windows 7/8/8.1/10 and Windows Vista
||Minimum 512 MB
||Minimum 1 GHz
|Hard Disk Space
||Minimum 200 MB
||Kai Oswald Seidler
Overall, XAMPP is a great tool for anyone looking to get a full development server up and running within quick time constraints. The only issue that we can see is that because it is so easy to set up, it doesn’t have the security features for this to be used as a production server. I hope this article would have helped you better to know what’s XAMPP and how to install XAMPP for your Windows PC. In the next article, we will let you know how to install WordPress on XAMPP.