It’s easy to scan QR codes on iPhone, iPad, or other iOS devices if you know what you’re doing. If not – you’ve come to the right place.
While QR codes didn’t turn out to be as popular as most people thought they were going to be, quite a few shops, websites and locations use them as a way to communicate or store information. Ticket websites, coupon codes, website links, and contact information is all often stored through QR codes.
It’s really easy to scan QR codes on your iPhone or iPad, because Apple built a QR code reader right into its camera up, so it’s quite a simple process if you need to scan something.
But as with all tech software, it can sometimes be fiddly working out what to do or getting your iOS device to recognize what it’s looking at. That’s why we’ve come up with this simple guide on how to scan a QR code with an iPhone.
This works with iOS 13, the most recent Apple operating system, as well as on older versions of Apple’s OS.
How To Scan a QR Code
- Open the Camera app from the Home screen, Control Center, or Lock screen.
- Select the rear-facing camera. Hold your device so that the QR code appears in the viewfinder in the Camera app. Your device recognizes the QR code and shows a notification.
- Tap the notification to open the link associated with the QR code.
How to set up and use QR code scanning from Control Center
If you scan a lot of QR codes, you might benefit from putting a link to the tool in Control Center. To add the built-in QR Code Reader:
- Tap on the Settings app on your mobile device.
- Choose Control Center.
- Tap Customize Controls.
- Under More Controls, tap the green + next to QR Code Reader.
- Move QR Code Reader to whatever location you’d like in the Control Center using the hamburger icon to the right of it.
To use the QR Code Reader from Control Center:
- Tap the QR Code Reader icon in Control Center.
- Hold the camera near a QR Code to scan.
- If your QR code contains actionable data (contact info, a phone number, etc.) tap on the notification banner to trigger the action.
How to disable QR code scanning on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll down and tap Camera.
- Tap the toggle next to Scan QR Codes to turn off QR code scanning.
Wallet app can scan QR codes on iPhone and iPad
There’s also a built-in QR reader in the Wallet app on iPhone and iPod. To access the scanner, open the app, click on the plus button at the top of the “Passes” section, then tap on Scan Code to Add a Pass.
From here, you can scan QR codes for coupons, boarding passes, tickets, and loyalty cards, but only for the specific things that Wallet considers “passes.”
If you try to scan any other QR code, you’ll get an error message.
If you don’t fancy either of the above two methods, you can also head to the App Store where you’ll find a wide selection of free QR code reading applications.
You can also check our Microsoft Word Tutorial to use of insert menu.