If you’re trying to figure out how to delete Gmail account, then you’ve come to the right place. We have all the details on how to get it done, whether you’re looking to get a new account or you simply want to switch to different email services. It’s easy as well, and you can do it without completely getting rid of your Google account.
There are a few things worth noting when you delete a Gmail account. First, even though deleting your Gmail account will definitely delete all of the emails on it, Google may not immediately delete all those emails. If you do decide later on to keep your Gmail account open, you might be able to get it back. Second, in case you’re concerned with security, is that once you’ve deleted your account, Google won’t let anyone else use that account. So, you won’t have to worry about someone else swooping in and using that Gmail address. And lastly, before you get started and delete your Gmail account, be sure to download all the data in your email account.
Otherwise, once that data is lost, it’s lost forever. Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered there as well: here’s how to download your Gmail data and save it to your computer.
The process of deleting your Gmail account will vary depending on the device you’re using, so we made sure to provide instructions for both Android and iOS devices.
How To Delete Gmail Account
- Go to Google Account Settings
- Select Data & Personalization.
- In the page that appears, scroll down to Download, delete, or make a plan for your data.
- Click Delete a service or your account.
- Then choose to Delete a service on the next page as well.
- You’ll be prompted to sign in to your account.
- On the next page, you can choose the service you would like to delete. If you want to delete a Gmail account, click the trashcan icon (🗑) next to Gmail.
- Enter an email address different from the address associated with the Gmail account you are closing under entering an email address in the How you’ll sign in to Google dialog box.
- Click Send Verification Email.
- Open the email from Google (email@example.com) with the subject “Security alert for your linked Google account” or “Gmail Deletion Confirmation”.
- Follow the deletion link in the message.
- If prompted, log in to the Gmail account you are deleting.
- Under Confirm Gmail Deletion Select Yes, I want to delete firstname.lastname@example.org from my Google Account.
- Click Delete Gmail.
- Click Done.
Deleting an entire Google Account means that the content in your Google Drive, Google Calendar and Google Photos accounts will be lost and you will no longer have access to subscriptions purchased on YouTube or Google Play with that account (such as apps, movies, games, music, and TV shows). If there is a Google Chrome browser synced with the deleted Google Account, the browser’s information, including bookmarks, will be deleted as well.